Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had dental surgery today. He was prescribed two pain

Customer Question

My dog had dental surgery today. He was prescribed two pain management medications, Vetprofen 25mg and Tramadol 50mg. I was verbally given instructions but the written instructing sheet for the medications indicates that only Vetprofen should have been given this evening and instead Tramadol was given as well. I am concerned about killing my poor pet! What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Good news! We can breathe a sigh of relief here. While Vetprofen can only be given once daily, the Tramadol can be dosed more often than that. Therefore, if you have accidently given this what will be every 12 hours, that isn't going to cause any harm at all (In fact, in cancer patients we give this every 8 hours). Therefore, you can just plan to restart dosing as per the written prescription in the morning or skip a dose for 24 hours if you wished. But there is no harm for this to be given at the same time as the other medication nor is there risk if we give it every 8-12 hours.

Please take care & happy holidays,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Olie. How is everything going?
nekovet