Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

What would be a safe dosage of prednisone 70 pound siberian

Customer Question

What would be a safe dosage of prednisone for my 70 pound siberian husky. He has spinal bone spurs and difficulty standing and walking. I went thru this before but don't remember what the start up dosage was
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Tank is having these issues. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. Is he currently taking Rimadyl?

2. And is he on Tramadol as well? If so, can you tell me the dose?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Since it looks as if you're currently offline and I'm getting ready to log off of my computer for the night, I wanted to respond back to you even without the benefit of the answers to my questions.

I can provide the steroid dose which I would recommend in a situation such as this; however, if Tank is currently taking Rimadyl, there needs to be a washout period between discontinuing the one drug before starting the other to avoid the risk of gastric ulceration. And, these drugs should never be given concurrently although this may be something that you already know. In some cases, I'll increase the Tramadol dose (since there's a wide range) to help control pain and discomfort during this transition period...perhaps to three to four times a day if the current dose is given twice daily.

I typically suggest the following Prednisone dosage protocol for my patients with spinal issues:

10 mgs twice daily for 4-5 days (or perhaps a little longer depending on the condition being treated), then 5 mgs twice daily for 4-5 days, then 5 mg once daily for 4-5 days, then 5 mg every other day for 4-5 days.

I hope this helps. Deb