Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My older dog has all of the sudden become almost immoble.

Customer Question

My older dog has all of the sudden become almost immoble. She pulls her bottom under her and won't pee, drink or eat. She has arthritis and it has gotten a lot colder. Is this just really bad arthritis?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 12 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Mattie. Are you home with her now to answer a few questions?

Expert:  Jess K replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry, it appears you aren't online to discuss your dog and I am heading to bed for the night. I will open your question back up to other experts in case someone is online when you are available later.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Even severe arthritis isn't likely to cause a Lab to stop drinking or eating. Any 11 year old who has done so should be considered quite ill and requires the attention of her vet. Her immobility and anorexia are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Her vet will need to thoroughly examine Mattie including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and perhaps X-rays predicated upon her test results. I understand that you didn't come to this site to be told to bring your dog to the vet but in this case I wouldn't hesitate to bring your 11 year old to her vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.