Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a doberman mix and she has extra skin around her

Customer Question

Hi I have a doberman mix and she has extra skin around her vagina and I looked at it again today and there is like a bulb around it and she won't let me touch to get a better look
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will try to help you and your pup.

Can you send a picture of her vulva and rear end in general? That will help determine what is going on. You can attach a picture to this conversation with the paperclip button at the top of your typing box.

Is your pup spayed? If not, has she had a heat cycle yet?

Female dogs, especially ones that still have their ovaries and uterus) can sometimes have extra skin around their vulva and this can trap moisture and urine, leading to a rash. I like to use TrizUltraKeto to clean the area (you can buy this product on amazon). If she is not spayed, spaying can help shrink up the excess tissue. If this extra tissue becomes a long term problem, she can have it removed surgically.

Does this help? Please send a picture so I can help you figure out what is going on.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is spayed. She is 11 months old. I took her to the vet and she said she has extra skin in that area so I keep an eye on it but now it feels like a cyst no and she won't let me touch it so it makes me worried it's all red

Thank you for the added information and the picture. That helps a lot! Her vulva looks essentially normal, but I can't assess for firmness in the skin or pain/discomfort when it is touched.

Is she spending extra time licking in that area? Any change in urination (more frequent, straining, etc)?

Also, dogs can get cysts in that area, and they often have to be lanced with a needle to drain the fluid. Your vet can perform this procedure for her.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is firmer and she definitely looks like it's painful when I touch it. She is going to the bathroom alot! And liking a little more than normal but nothing crazy

That is good information!

I would wonder if she has a bladder infection. The bladder and vulva become very painful with bladder infections and the dogs will lick their vulva in attempts to make it feel better. This causes dermatitis and swelling of the skin by the vulva, making this area even more painful.

I would recommend taking her to your vet in the morning, or at least drop off a urine sample if she was seen recently (less than 2 weeks ago). This will help determine if she indeed has a bladder infection. They can also inspect her vulva to see if there is any other problems like a cyst in that area.

Does this help?

How is your dog this evening? Did you take her to the vet? What was the diagnosis? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Max is coughing.

How frequently is he coughing? (once an hour, once a day, etc) Does he go to groomers, dog parks, or other places with lots of other dogs? Is he having any labored breathing? Any vomiting in the last few days? How is he eating? Does he have a fever (normal body temperature for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5).

My determination for coughing and if it is an emergency is as follows-

fever

coughing more than once per hour

coughing waking him up from sleep

labored breathing or breathing with his head extended

unable to sleep because of coughing and/or labored breathing

If none of the above criteria fit with Max's current state of health, you can try giving him Benadryl. The dose is 1mg per pound of body weight, so he would likely take about 75mg. This is to treat him in case he has allergic airway coughing.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda