Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a 3 year old dog crossed between a poodle and a

Customer Question

we have a 3 year old dog crossed between a poodle and a bichon ,we have had this dog for 18 months,and about 12 months ago he lost his fir from his back and flanks,we had pet insurance and took him to 2 different vets,after all test they finally said they thought it was caused by alapecia,but were not sure,his fir started to grow back but he has sinced lost it again,our pet insurance has now run out for this complaint,do you have any advice or treatment for this problem.
Thankyou
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Alopecia is a symptom rather than a diagnosis. Can you upload a photo of Henry to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

The pattern of Henry's hair loss and the waxing and waning of the alopecia is most consistent with canine recurrent flank alopecia (seasonal flank alopecia, cyclic flank alopecia, cyclic follicular dysplasia) but there are many miscellaneous canine follicular dysplasias that require skin biopsy to clarify.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we cannot send photo at moment but will try to send tomorrow

Sounds good. Can I assume that skin biopsy hasn't been performed?