Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Whom It May Concern: I have a 10-month old basset hound,

Customer Question

Whom It May Concern:
I have a 10-month old basset hound, Gracie, and we ended up at the emergency vet last night where she was diagnosed with a UTI.
Saturday I noticed she was licking her "lady parts" and had a slight increase in ruination then and some yesterday; however, last night she was having to go every couple of hours, which prompted the visit to the emergency clinic. She was eating, drinking, and playing normally.
The emergency clinic took an X-ray and said it was normal, and performed a urinalysis which they said confirmed the UTI. My major concern is that no blood work was taken to rule out kidney failure, which is what my research of the symptoms keeps pulling up.
What shoukd I do? She ate her breakfast (soft food I/D and pumpkin) this morning but did not want her milk bOne; however, she did want the jerky treat. She also seemed a bit tired, but I'm assuming that's from the injections she received--an antibiotic and anti inflammatory.
Gracie is the last present from my now deceased mother.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Do you know the names of the medications she was given? Is she still on medication? It is not kidney failure because when they checked the urine sample they checked to see if she was able to concentrate her urine which is the kidneys job. If she was not able to concentrate her urine they would have told you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was given meloxicam and ampicillin injections and sent home with clavamox to start at 5:00 this evening.You don't feel it's kidney failure or something more serious? The urinalysis would have shown this?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the urinalysis would show kidney function. She is also very young to have kidney failure and urinary tract infections are common in female dogs.

If she starts to drink excessive amounts of water, and urinate lots of dilute urine, and she stops eating and starts vomiting then I would have her blood checked.

Otherwise I do not think you need to have it done.

Clavamox can cause some gastrointestinal upset and make them have vomiting, diarrhea, or lack of appetite.

See if you can get her to eat some plain cooked chicken or plain cooked ground beef with it. That is easier to digest than dog food.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

You can also give her human over the counter Pepcid AC to help counter act the effects of the Clavamox.

1/4 of a 10 mg pepcid ac tablet, per each 10-15 pounds of dog, every 12 hours. You can put it in a treat like lunch meat, cheese, cream cheese, or peanut butter.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

You can also have her urine checked when she finishes the antibiotics to make sure the urinary tract infection is resolved.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?