Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog, who is 7 years old, has a discharge in her eyes, she

Customer Question

Hi
My name is ***** ***** my dog, who is 7 years old, has a discharge in her eyes, she urined blood for 1 day. She is not fixed. She will drink water but will not eat. She's had nothing to eat since Sat. She very lethargic. She did vomit this morning all the water she drank. Now I think my other pup who is 6 years old and the daughter of the first.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Midget. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Urinating blood could be due to a simple bladder infection, that needs a course of antibiotics. However, because she is not fixed, I would be worried about an infection in her uterus, called a pyometra, which can be lift threatening. The blood you saw could have been from her uterus, and washed out with the urine from her vagina. If she has a pyometra, the sooner she gets medical attention the better.

If she is vomiting after drinking, it may be hard to keep her hydrated. Are her gums a normal bright pink, same as your other dogs? Or do they seem more pale?

A dog not eating really worries me, especially after this long. When a dog refuses food, she is telling us they feel bad. It could be nausea, internal organ disease, a pyometra, pancreatitis, many things. If my own dog did not eat for 2 days, I would be doing a complete physical examination (listening to heart and lungs, taking her temperature, palpating her internal organs and lymph nodes, feeling her pulses, etc.) and probably blood tests to find out where the problem is, and how best to treat it. Xrays would be helpful if she continues to vomit, and to rule out a pyometra.

Can you take her temperature at home? Normal is between 101 and 102. Less than 100 indicates dehydration (or serious illness like a pyometra). 103 or higher indicates fever, infection, and/or inflammation somewhere in her body.

I am really worried about your description of her, and would get her checked by your veterinarian as soon as possible. Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca