Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is crying and keeps trying to dry vomit

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Has he brought up anything at all?

Can he keep anything down? Water?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, distension, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shown signs for 45 minutes has not brought anything up. fed him his enalapril 3.75 mg dose and he did not spit it up-still dry heaving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
eating grass outside and restless
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no tenderness in belly but dog is stoic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

And those other signs? How are his gums?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Is he the kind of dog to eat odd items that could cause a blockage or harm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I am glad to hear those gums are nice and pink. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see nausea like this for a range of reasons (from infectious bacterial or viral gastroenteritis to odd ingestions or pancreatitis). Now if he is stoic, we do need to tread with care since these guys can fool us with their brave face. And I would be concerned that he may be sore since he is crying. Still, if he isn't likely yo have eaten something non-edible, we can hopefully rule that out and consider some steps to soothe that stomach.

To start, since he isn't bringing up anything, we can try him with an antacid. OTC options we can use for dogs include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet if he is on any other meds you didn't mention.

If we can get him settled with that, then we can try a light diet to keep that stomach settled. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Though as long as those gums are pink, he isn't bloated or showing obvious pain; we can try the above just now. If he settles, we are happy. But if this continues, then we'd want a check with his local vet so that they can start him on injectable anti-nausea medication +/- pain relief to get him settled and feeling like himself again.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we use gas-X?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It can be used if we have excess gas, but this isn't going to help with nausea. So, I'd not advise that one here, since it will be of little benefit if at all. If you have Tagamet or Omeprazole, those would be other options but otherwise its worth getting a proper antacid here to settle that stomach upset.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call me please!!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
edited>jim-cssm42352.4993592824
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I apologize but I am not currently set up to offer the phone call service. So, we can continues to discuss as we are or you can let me know if you want me to opt out in case there is another vet able to offer a call at this time.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my settings????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you want to know my setting but the reply box disappears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still dry heving
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am not sure what you mean by the "setting". In case you did not see what I said before, I cannot currently offer a phone service at my clinic. So, we can continues to discuss as we are or you can let me know if you want me to opt out in case there is another vet able to offer a call at this time. Otherwise, you need to start an antacid if you want to try to get this heaving under control. Otherwise, we'd need to get the local vet to treat via injection.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
get me a vet who can call me please
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will opt out and if there is a colleague online to offer a phone call, you should heal from them shortly. Of course, do not reply to me or leave feedback now, since that will prevent them from seeing that I have reopened your question.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everytime you ask me to confirm my info the reply box disappears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
get another vet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
get one NOWWWWW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you keep asking me to confrim my settings and there is no place to do that!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just answer me now my dog may be dead in 24 hours!!!!