Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has lack of appetite lack of energy seems like in

Customer Question

my dog has lack of appetite lack of energy seems like in pain when i lift him up he cries sometimes he gets up he cries random places i touch sometimes he will cry sometimes not. i took him to the emergency he had fever of 104.5 they did blood work came back clean did chest x ray and intestines vet noticed possible foreign small object in his small intestine but said it can very well be fat i guess since he is still 9 month old it was hard to tell they sent it to radiology to find out if its foreign object or not. he does not eat or drink unless i hand fed him in small pieces please help if you have had experience with similar problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did they start Dexter on any pain relief if he is this sore? Any appetite stimulants or anti-nausea medication?

Was it just a general blood test or did they mention checking for pancreatitis?

Did the vet think these objects looked sharp?

Do you have any idea of anything (food or object-wise) that he may have eaten before these signs started?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi the only medication they gave was fluids shot for fever, antibiotic shot and antiacid pill. No i never saw my dog eat anything he is not supported to. Vet said he could not see exactly what he saw in x rays he said it might be fat that puppies usually have. It was general blood test. As of now my dog is still weak looks confused stand doesnt move doesnt sit for 5 min then slowly he lays down. Random places on his body hurts. He has not popped for 16 hours now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

Do you know what the fever reducing shot was specifically (it should be on your receipt)?

You noted he looks weak, are his gums nice and pink (not pale/white)?

Have you seen him strain like he wants to pass feces?

Was there much stool seen on the xray (since sometimes we see delays like this since they are off food and therefore have little to pass)?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not sure of the name of fever shot but they injected fluid on his back by his shoulder it was like a golf ball under his skin they said in few hours it will go away its the fluid under the skin. No feces. I did not see the x ray dr did not show me he said its his small intestin small object but not clear most likely its nothing. Also the way my dog walks its kind of not straight he sits slowly lays down slowly vet said his legs and bones are good. He is very sensitive when i lift him he cries. Couple of times he layed down he cried. He only eats small chicken from my hand i give him baby food chicken vet said it has water inside.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

In that case, it doesn't sound like an injection to reduce fever. Instead, that sounds more likely to be subcutaneous fluids, since they take time to absorb. So, that is likely what they gave there. Otherwise, if there was no feces seen on the xray, then his lack of passing any for the past 16 hours is not unexpected (and it does mean since little has gone in, little needs to come out). So, as long as there is no straining, that isn't a worry here. Furthermore, in regards ***** ***** slow movements, this isn't likely due to anything with the limbs. Instead, it is most likely due to him being painful in that belly and trying not to move it such that he causes himself pain. And the same goes when he lays down or is lifted, as both will put pressure to the abdomen. When that happens, the painful focus in there is being compressed (or even hurting the gut) and thus making him sore.

Now with all his signs in mind, I have to say that i am really concerned that those findings on the xray are something non-edible that are causing his gut pain. Puppy fat just would not do that. The other concern we'd have here is that we can see similar signs with pancreatitis. But if the vet only did a general blood profile and didn't check for that, that could be missed.

In any case, with him being so sore, I do feel that you need to speak to his vet about symptomatic care. Especially gut safe pain relief (ie Bupenorphine). He may also benefit from a strong injectable anti-nausea treatment if the antacid isn't enough, gastroprotectants, +/- an appetite stimulant. And if we can get him eating once we use these, we can get things moving down the gut. This would mean he'd pass stool and possibly pass what ever is in the intestines. And further to the baby food (do make sure it has no garlic/onion in it if you use it), you could add rice or a spoonful of canned pumpkin to help bulk up feces and push these through the gut.

Overall, it sounds like Dexter's xrays were tricky. Still, we need to look at him here. He is sore with this, so we'd be concerned that something like is in that gut that should not be. And in any case, we'd want him on pain relief and potentially stronger nausea medications and appetite stimulants to get him eating and comfortable if what has been used so far isn't enough for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)