Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was throwing up bile clear flem about 3.5 hrs ago,

Customer Question

My dog was throwing up bile clear flem about 3.5 hrs ago, she now is randomly dry heaving. Nothing's coming up. She's sleeping tho. There was nothing in the bile but a little grass. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or will she be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, distension, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She doesn't eat anything she isn't supposed to. She isn't a chewer or curious pup any more. She's got pink gums sticky and she won't drink any water. Her belly isn't bloated. No pain I've been monitoring her heart rate and breathing. I've pushed on her belly all over top to bottom and no discomfort. It sounds like bronchitis cough. Deep down and it's just white foam clear liquid vile.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she isn't a chewer or the kind of dog to eat odd items. Especially as those situations tend to be the ones that require urgent care. That said, we need to tread with care if those gums are sticky. This is because that is an early warning sign of dehydration creeping in here (and that is often what makes them feel poorly). Therefore, we want to be proactive here for her.

Now based on her signs, despite Shelby no longer bringing anything up, she does still have active nausea here. As well, if you are hearing cough, she may have a secondary inflammation of her esophagus due to the irritation/trauma of the stomach acid and vomit on that esophagus.

With this all in mind, we can try to soothe that stomach just now with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Or since we have some esophagitis concerns, you could use Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). All will help soothe mild nausea, but this one is a liquid and can coat the sore throat. And if her heaving is related to that throat inflammation, we can potentially reduce that for her too. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Now as long as she can keep that down (since otherwise we'd want her on injectable treatment from her vet) and is steadier on her stomach, we can then start her on a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Whichever you use, start with small meals with breaks. If she keeps that down, she can have a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, we need to tread with care if she has been vomiting and is starting to get dehydrated. Therefore, we'd want to use the above here for Shelby. If she settles and starts drinking, we are happy. If she continues to vomit/heave, cannot keep the supportive care or anything down, or we see more signs of dehydration (ie sunken eyes, skin tenting), then we'd want to get her local vet involved. They can pinpoint the cause (ie bacterial, viral, pancreatitis, etc) and start her on injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this for her and get her back to normal for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shelby. How is everything going?
nekovet