Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I want to reschedule a 7 yr old male pekingese from the

Customer Question

Hi, I want to reschedule a 7 yr old male pekingese from the local humane society pet rescue. In October his owner was unable to car for him due to pelvic fracture from being hit by an automobile in a parking lot. He has been under veterinarian car since his surgery back in October. I read the medical reports which state healing is looking great without limitations. They did not allow me to adopt him right away and put a hold for me until tomorrow so that I may sleep on the adoption due to possible medical complications that may appear in the future. Please help me understand and know what I should expect worse case scenario. I fell in love with the little guy and even more so because of his condition. I want to help him and love him. He took to me just fine. And allowed me to hold him and walk him. Once he was placed back in the kennel we walked past him and he was happy and wagging his tail, almost like he recognized me. When I first approached his kennel he just layer in his cage without moving a muscle. He jumped up and down with my 14 year old boy. But when I went to interview for his adoption, they strongly suggested he sleep on the adoption. I was so excited I picked collars, leashes, dental hygeine, and treats for him. Which were all put back due to the hold until tomorrow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, congratulations on your potential new adoption! I think it is extremely honorable the rescue is taking this stance with Paco to ensure he goes to someone who isn't making a rash judgement and requiring a moment to step back in making the decision. It is difficult to determine the level of concern with the pelvic fracture without seeing x-rays and evaluating him.

My recommendation would be to ask if you can have a conversation either on the phone or in person with the veterinarian who has been caring for him. Often this in and of itself will be the best way to grasp the level of concern for his future. For example, were any of the fractures through joints? Did any of the fracture sites have to heal by second intention (were not fixed by a surgeon)?

Once you have gone through this discussion most rescues, and this one sounds like a fantastic one, will offer a complimentary veterinary visit local to the community (not just the rescue veterinarian) who can evaluate his history and do an examination to give an outside opinion on his health the first week of adoption. I would encourage you do consider this as well.

I know leaving with him and very likely already you have attachments to him you will not want to bring him back but sitting down with an outside opinion will hopefully allow you to go into this adoption with eyes wide open and have no surprises in the coming years.

Very likely there will be no issues in the future but as the rescue mentioned it is always best to take a step back and make sure that this is the right adoption for you both and there are no surprises around the corner in 1 or even 5 years

I hope this makes sense and would love an update tomorrow when a decision is made! Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you today

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I was checking in to see if you were able to view my responses last night and had any additional questions I can assist with?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in one more time to see if you were able to make a decision on Paco? Did you adopt him? I would love an update when you are able...