Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is a rough collie and last night we had a party and

Customer Question

Hello, my dog is a rough collie and last night we had a party and he got ahold of food that I'm not sure of and today he is panting and shaking. Should I take him to emergency or can we wait it out with water and a walk or what?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB. Is he vomiting or drooling and has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he not drolling but panting heavy and shaking, I will go look for diarrhea
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no diarrhea yet
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Ok, let me go ahead and give you an answer since you are not currently online. So, the short answer is that he is likely in pain.

When dogs have discomfort they tend to pant and shake. My biggest concern is that he may have pancreatitis. However,if there is no vomiting, no lack of appetite, no diarrhea and no swelling of his stomach then chances are you can take him in tomorrow. But if he has even one of those signs especially vomiting or swollen tummy then you should take him to ER immediately because bloat would be another possibility. Let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please, he's panting hard, what should I do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you haven't answered me, this sucks and you shouldn't charge me. I'm going to emergency. you suck!
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI, my state board does not allow me to do live phone calls so I will opt out and allow another expert to help you. And I did tell you what to do. You should take your dog to the ER. Good luck.DRB

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You were unhelpful and you have to live with that. Never using this service again..
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm sorry to hear that Vincent has not been acting himself tonight. I'd like to chime in here and also agree with you that the best thing to do would be to take him to the emergency vet to be examined by a veterinarian in person. Heavy panting like you're describing is definitely worthy of an emergency visit. I hope that they're able to get to the bottom of it for you quickly and get him some relief.

~Dr. Sara