Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a german sheppard who is hacking and gagging after it

Customer Question

Hi i have a german sheppard who is hacking and gagging after it only happened 2 nights ago...and did it again this morning its like he has something stuck in his throat last night he did bring up some white stuff he isnt off his food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 12 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

This is a pretty typical description of a dog with an acute cough. Some people call it kennel cough. The agents to cause "kennel" cough don't HAVE to come from other dogs or a kennel, they can come from his everday environment too. There are large number of agents that can cause this type of cough, usually viruses and bacteria. The deep hacking and occasionally spitting up are very typical. The best thing to do is to see the vet at your next convenience often this is treated with medications including powerful cough supressents and sometimes antibiotics. It usually isn't an emergency unless Rex seems to have trouble breathing. One then that can help soothe his throat a little is exposing him to a vapoizor or putting him in the bathroom for 10 min with a hot shower running so he can breathe in the steam. I hope this helps if not please feel free to ask more questions

For more information see this website: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=600.

Dr. Dan