Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Was this sugar free gum with xylitol? Just one piece? Was inducing vomiting successful? How much does your dog weigh please?
Symptoms of xylitol toxicity develop rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. Signs of hypoglycemia may include any or all of the following:
In severe cases, the dog may develop seizures or liver failure. Dogs that develop liver failure from xylitol poisoning often show signs of hypoglycemia.
If inducing vomiting is successful then there is little concern for xylitol toxicity, especially if only one piece was ingested but it is always good to know what symptoms to look for.Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if i can assist in any other way
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I will be away from my computer for approximately an hour now but will return as soon as I am able to answer any additional questions you may have. Good luck to you both, I hope your Pittie has no ill effects from the gum!