How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11113
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Daschund ate a large amount of chocolate. I gave her

Customer Question

my Daschund ate a large amount of chocolate. I gave her bread soaked in peroxide and she has been vomiting and drinking lots of water. The only thing she is vomiting up now is water. Is there anything else I can do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I just have a few additional questions:
- How much does Lilly weigh
- How much chocolate in ounces was ingested and what type (milk, dark, white)
- How long ago did the ingestion occur versus the inducing vomiting versus now (for example, she ate the chocolate three hours ago and you induced vomiting two hours ago)...

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Without the additional information, the vomiting should subside with the removal of water. Since there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea created by the peroxide and chocolate along with reducing abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is she needs to drink to maintain hydration but if she is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

Please continue to monitor for symptoms of chocolate toxicity in case any of the chocolate was absorbed in the system which includes panting, pacing, increased water intake, muscle tremors, heart palpitations. If seen then please consider a veterinary er to treat the chocolate toxicity symptoms.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours after the 6-8 hour period

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Lilly comfortable

Other indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!