Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has been salivating a lot, is uncomfortable, seems

Customer Question

My dog has been salivating a lot, is uncomfortable, seems nauseous, but hasn't vomited. Any advice to make him more comfortable. He has no other symptoms, I've taken him off food and water temporarily.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 12 months ago.

How long has he been salivating?

Has he ingested anything new in the past 24 hours. Any new treats or even if its his old food but a new bag of it?

Is he excessively itching or pawing at himself?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It began this morning, around 8am. No, he hasn't ingested anything that I've noticed, no treats, just regular food. Not itchy at all. I thought initially he had eaten too fast, but he hasn't vomited, so who knows. A bug?

I have finish one question before you and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok

Although pets can get viral stomach conditions, we don't diagnose them often. They are difficult to diagnose, and even in people, it is usually just assumed.

Drooling can be a sign of several things:
- A broken/fractured tooth
- Something stuck in the mouth/cheek/roof of the mouth
- Periodontal disease
- Nausea (illness possibly from a dietary indiscretion)
- Toxin exposure
- Recent seizure
- Nausea due to organ problems (kidney disease)
- A hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. bee sting)

So, for nausea:

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

If any allergic reaction, you could give some benadryl antihistamine at about 1 mg per pound. So, if anywhere around 25 pounds, give 1 full tablet. If anywhere around 50 pounds, give 2 tablets of 25mg benadryl.

But!

This can be a serious symptoms, so definitely strongly recommending the vet visit to ascertain what is going on. If there is any possibility of something foreign or toxic having been ingested, taking sooner action is well worth it!

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thanks. Great advice. If the salivating continues, I'll take him in to his Vet on Monday morning. Wouldn't you know he'd get sick on a Sunday! He's a very healthy young dog, I'm not assuming the worst, but will follow up with his doc. Thanks again. Margot Capra

You are very welcome Margot.

Good Luck!