Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 3 yr old female spayed Basset Hound now 4 yrs as of

Customer Question

My 3 yr old female spayed Basset Hound now 4 yrs as of 12/4/15 started excessively peeing in the house just feet from the doggie door, on rugs etc. at least 6 to 8 months ago. I brought her to the vet twice, urine samp. & blood taken ( nothing wrong) I still felt there was for her to do this. In Aug. 2015 2 large pools bloody diarrhea. Trip to ER vet. No diagnosis or fever. Took her to my reg. vet the next day. Vet said she had a fever & throat infection. Gave shot & antibiotics. In Sept. noticed lots of mucus in eyes took her to the vet. She had a fever. Got shot anitibiotics bactrum & eye drops. While on bactrum 5 or 6 days her fever spiked to 104 & not eating. Looked visibly sick took her to vet. Shot & put her on Cypro. Cypro really seemed to do the trick. Back to eating, play with toys, zero peeing in the house. After 2 or 3 weeks ( on Fri 2 days ago ) she didn't eat her 2nd meal in the afternoon. Her temp was 100.9 & 102.25 even though she didn't eat, but learned to take her to vet if she misses 1 meal. I took her to the vet yesterday morning. She had a 104 fever even though she looked good. Put her on Doxcyline & took blood for Rock Mt. Fever test. This is the 2nd or 3rd time blood taken, no kidney disease, but the urine samples takes after she started getting fevers, she had taken antibiotics or a shot before I could get sample. So urine test okay, but tested okay twice in the months before fevers started. He diagnosed her with FUO. If she doesn't test pos. for Rock Mt Fever what do we do now or do you have any idea what could be wrong with her? Doc doesn't seem as interested in what I think this all started with, the peeing in the house. Didn't notice her drinking excessive amt. water when she was doing this. Odd the Cyrpo that is given for bladder infec. stopped the peeing. Doc. seemed to think her illness was bladder or urinary related before I brought her back yesterday. He usually has her on antibiotics for at least 14 days. Should she maybe take Cypro longer & should I give her yogurt or a prescript vet pro biotic power since she's been on antibiotics off & on since Aug.? Thanks, Charlotte
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry you and Ellie have been through so much together recently!

Ciprofloxacin can treat RMSF and since she responded so well to it this is definitely still a possibility as well as any other tick related diseases so hopefully your vet did a full tick panel on her not just for Ehrlichia (RMSF). It might be a matter of treating for a longer period of time but the doxycycline also will treat this condition. It may require a 4-6 week course of antibiotics to be effective and unfortunately relapses can occur with any of the tick borne diseases.

Yogurt or a probiotic such as proviable, fortiflora are absolutely fine in this scenario. It can certainly help but will definitely not harm her to start a probiotic for minimizing the gi effects of antibiotics.

If the tick titers do return negative then it would be advised to consider referral to a specialty center where they see unusual cases like your Ellie more frequently then a general practitioner like myself and your vet. But tick borne diseases can begin with a urinary tract symptom and advance or vary in symptoms as things progress

I hope this information makes sense but the ciprofloxacin will treat a urinary tract infection and tick borne diseases as well so the hope is that a diagnosis will be made and longer course of doxycycline will help get her back to her normal self once again

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman