Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I just found a tick on my dog and immediately removed it,

Customer Question

I just found a tick on my dog and immediately removed it, but I then realized that the are a round the tick was purple then spread to red rim. I am not sure how long the tick has been on her, and am concerned that it gave her something. I also realized that I cannot remove that I didn't get all of the tick. I got the head and body I believe the mouth is still there. Do have any suggestions for me?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

Yes, a few suggestions. I will wait for your reply so I know we are connected.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hey Dr. Andy I am connected

So, a few things:

1. Based on your description, I am a bit concerned that there is a secondary infection. Therefore, this makes this situation now well worth a vet visit to explore the area, ensure the tick is fully removed (no retained head), and possibly to start some oral antibiotics.

2. You can apply some neosporin to the area a few times a day in the meantime.

3. Yes, there is always a chance for transmission of a tick-borne disease like lyme, ehrlichia, or anaplasmosis. However, there is a simple blood test (some vets can even do it right in their hospital) to test for these diseases. If diagnosed early, treatment can be very effective with no complications occurring.

I wish we could easily treat at home, but with the need for possible antibiotics, the possible need for a tick head to be removed, and for the consideration to do a simple tick disease test, the vet visit is important.

I hope that information is helpful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your help and time Dr. Andy

You are very welcome.