Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

4yr old golden has eyelid mass. Vet says probably

Customer Question

4yr old golden has eyelid mass. Vet says probably chalazian(sic) she will laser remove. Question is it better to have opthamologist remove and get pathology of it? I have pet insurance
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Finnigan has this eyelid mass. If your vet has laser surgery this should suffice in removal and you can ask your veterinarian to send off the mass as well for pathology evaluation. If your vet feels comfortable removing the mass and has done many of them then laser is a great option because it does reduce swelling and healing has been shown to be better with laser surgery versus cautery or scalpel

If the mass comes back abnormal and not having clear margins then that would be the point I would consider a veterinary eye specialist but if you are comfortable with your vet and this vet has experience with eyelid masses I would move forward with your general practitioner or regular veterinarian. I have done these as well and feel confident in being able to remove this type of tumor so it truly depends on your trust to your veterinarian and how long he/ she has been in practice. If there are any hesitations and it would make you more comfortable then I would have a consult with the eye doctor to see where things stand and how you would like to proceed.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Was unable to view your answer earlier. Very frustrating. I do trust the vet and had asked really sending for path and she said laser usually broke up pieces too small ?? I'm an rn so have some experience. Back story last golden jasper had oral melanoma a at 14 Mos and died at 20 Mos after 2 debunking surgeries and treatment with melanoma vaccine so might be overly concerned with possibly a very minor eye mass with Finn.

I apologize for any inconvenience the site has caused. Once you have completed the discussion and rated I will send the question to customer service to address your concerns. If I do so before then I will be unable to correspond for a few hours and want to ensure I am able to answer your questions as soon as I am able

I am so very sorry for the loss of your previous dog. I cannot imagine how much this recent situation has brought up for you and your family. If your veterinarian is not comfortable sending off the mass for this purpose then I would advise having the eye doctor perform the surgery. In your situation in particular answers are critical and I would feel more comfortable if the eye doctor can remove the lump and send it off as well...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Good evening, I wanted to check in to see if you made a decision on your dog's eyelid mass and who will be removing it? I would love an update when you are able!