Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My yorkie had an extra set of canines that were taken out

Customer Question

My yorkie had an extra set of canines that were taken out .she is almost two now and she has horrible breath .I give her chewing stocks for breath and try and I do mean try to brush her teeth but she still has the breath. My vet says she is fine no tarter on her teeth. She will be two in a couple months ? Any suggestions
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.

The most common cause of bad breath is excess bacteria in the mouth. Usually that means tartar. Sometimes there is bacteria under the gumline or in places that you can't easily see. If I'm not seeing tartar, but there is definitely odor to the broth I will sometimes do a trial with antibiotics. IF the bath breath goes away while she is on the antibiotics then you have to go looking for the bacteria. This usually starts with a cleaning under anesthesia so that they can clean along and under the gemlike. Then dental X-rays to check for any infections in the tooth roots. And I have seen some yorkies that have a condition called 'traumatic granulomas'. This is a problem where they actually play with their tongue in their mouth in such a way that is inflames the tissue under the tongue and can cause ulceration and infection under the tongue. All of these things are problems in the mouth and it would be worth sedating Gracy to make sure these things are not going on.

If the smell isn't coming from the mouth, it can come from bad bacteria in the gut. Often we try metronidazole (an antibiotic that targets gas producing bacteria) for a week followed by a hydrolyze protein diet (these are prescription and you would have to get them from your veterinarian) and a probiotic. This can help by changing the environment and bacteria in the intestine).

It is also possible that the odor is coming from something that she is licking or eating or from and infection in her sinus.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you I will schedule her with the vet..

Best wishes!