Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 15 year old lab. She has arthritis in her back legs

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old lab. She has arthritis in her back legs and this past weekend she has not been able to get up without assistance. When she is up she has a difficult time standing . She has been on Azium the last 2 years and tram idol the last few months. We plan on taking her to our vet tomorrow but was anxious to know if there is anything you think can be done.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a very tough one for your sweet girl. Since she has been on pain killers and steroids, there is not much else that can be done to help her. Adequan can be given to help lubricate her joints and a daily supplement of Glucosamine/hondroitin available at the pet store may help also. When the arthritis gets this bad, it interferes with the nerve supply making it difficult for your sweet girl. Try these other options to see if they will help. Talk to your vet about this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****