Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My hunting lab got a puncture wound in s paw pad while

Customer Question

my hunting lab got a puncture wound in his paw pad while swimming in a pond..what would be appropriate antibiotic treatment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a common injury in hunting dogs and cleaning the wound with peroxide is a good thing to do. This wound needs to be left open so the infection goes to the outside rather than going internally which would require antibiotics. I would recommend flushing this wound every 6-8 hrs with Betadine, available at the pharmacy over the counter and then lace a loose wrap on this. Continue to remove all of the pus and damaged tissue form this wound. It will heal by second intention or from the inside out. Systemic antibiotics would be helpful but this will require a prescription from your vet. I most cases such as this, if you are consistent with this treatment, this will heal well.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****