Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My name is ***** *****, our dog Fenway (papachion) woke up

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****, our dog Fenway (papachion) woke up crying. We took him for a walk and it seems his hip is hurting him. This came out of know where. He is now lying down and doesnt want to move around. Thinking it could be arthritis
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Fenway is 13 years old, has had a history of joint pain in his hips. We also recently moved from Fl to Kentucky where the temperatures are different.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: that will be fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help.

Can you tell me if Fenway can use his back legs normally?

Any chance of a fall or slip?

Is he on any medications or have any known health issues?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he does seem to be able to use his back legs. He will just take a few steps though and then lie down. We are not aware of any fall or slip, he sleeps on our bed through the night so I know he did not get down during the night.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

First I am glad to hear that he can use the leg and injury is unlikely. Now based on his signs, the weather, and at his age, arthritis could be what is getting him down. We often see this cause issue for elderly dogs this time of year and it can leave them quite stiff and sore.

In this case, there are some things we can do to ease his signs and help with the winter ahead. To start, we do find that supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega 3+6 fish oils helpful. You can get these OTC at most pet stores or even use human preparations of these to help him keep mobile.

As well warming the joints, can help fight the effects of the chill. Over the winter he'd benefit from a bed in a warm spot, access to a heating pad or even a heated dog bed. As well for the moment, consider warm compressing this sore hip.

Finally, while we'd want to think about speaking to his vet about dog safe pain relief for him, for the moment you can try him with a low dose of buffered aspirin (5mg per pound every 12-24 hours). Of course, if he is on any other medicine or has any known health issues, we'd want to check with his vet before use.

Overall at his age, this is likely arthritis related, so we can use the above for now and as needed to keep him comfortable and moving through the chilly weather.

All the best,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)