Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I gave my dog a small amount of calf liver last night. He

Customer Question

I gave my dog a small amount of calf liver last night. He got diarrhea during the night, it looks very dark. This morning when taking him a walk his urine has blood in it. He acts normal. I am worried is this something I should watch until tomorrow or should I take him somewhere today. Any ideas what this could be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Kodee is not doing well this morning.

First, was the liver cooked or raw? If it was raw, was it deep frozen first to kill any bacteria on it before feeding? Do you know the source of the liver? Grocery store or home-dressed?

Second, how is Kodee feeling this morning? Vomiting? Eating? What color was the urine- red or brown?

Based on your history of blood in the urine and very dark diarrhea (which could be bloody) I would strongly recommend taking him to the emergency room this morning.

Causes of blood in urine include bladder infection and bladder tumors. Causes of brown urine can include bilirubin (from liver failure), severe muscle damage and some toxins.

Causes of dark diarrhea or bloody diarrhea include food poisoning, eating something very irritating to the gut such as plants or garbage, parasites, and others.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

How is Kodee this evening? Any more diarrhea? How is his urine? Did you end up taking him to the vet today? How did that turn out? Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would please consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dr. A

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kodee. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar