Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My Chihuahua was seriously attacked by a coyote last night.

Customer Question

Hi there...my Chihuahua was seriously attacked by a coyote last night. We immediately took him to the Emergency Vet Clinic where they did a thorough evaluation and ended up calling in a surgeon to do an emergency tracheotomy but while they were doing surgery they discovered that he ha extensive nerve and muscle damage to his throat and neck area. They suggested that we put him down because his quality of life will be horrible. I was looking for a second opinion. Can you give me any information or insight.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 year. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Opie. Did they do the surgery to repair the trachea? He is still at the ER clinic getting veterinary care at this time I'm assuming. Is he able to walk / being mobile with the current injuries he has? Is all the damage in his throat / neck region?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he is out of surgery, but I am not sure. The injuries are to his neck and throat region. He was able to barely walk when he was attacked but I am not sure if he is mobile at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering those questions. Obviously the veterinarians at the ER clinic are the ones there that are able to evaluate him in person. They have the ability to see the extent of the injuries at this time. They are trying to help you understand the severity of the injuries that Opie has at this time. Could his injuries be ones that are so critical that he won't be able to overcome them? There in is the unknown. At this point, it sounds like a specialist has been called in to perform the needed repair to the trachea. They will be assessing for other damage to structures in the neck area like the esophagus. Unfortunately with the other damage to the nerves in that region, that is something that can't be repaired. Can his body heal from the current injuries and get back to a point where his quality of life is acceptable? I think it is always a good idea to help owners know how bad the injuries are and to then go forward with therapy once owners grasp this. His injuries are ones that the surgery and supportive care are giving him a chance to get through this. Know that you are giving him a chance and with that chance, the possibility is there to overcome this. It wont be an easy road or a quick one to recovery. You should stay in regular contact with the veterinarians providing his care to know how he's progressing. Hopefully they will feel that he is making good progress. Trauma is a situation where sometimes it can look really, really bad, but then with the proper care things can heal.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Opie. How is everything going?