Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pup grabbed a tampon out of purse and chewed up part of

Customer Question

My pup grabbed a tampon out of purse and chewed up part of it. I'm worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am Dr. B and would like to help.

How much do you this she ate?

Did she tear it into bits first?

How long ago did she have this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was about 11:00 pm.Not sure how much she ate, yes in bits.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now it's good to hear she did tear it to bits here. This is because we find these so dangerous for dogs because of the blockage risk tampons carry once they expand in the stomach fluids. If there were in bits, that risk is lessened.

Now since I'm not in the same time zone as you, I cannot appreciate how long ago she had this. If it was in the last 2 hours, we can induce vomiting ( by giving 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide by mouth per 10lbs of her body weight). Otherwise we'll need to help her pass this the other way. For that, we'd want to feed light food (ie chicken and rice) with a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran mixed in. These will help push the material through. As well we can add a dose of cat hairball treatment to her food to lubricate the gut and help these pass.

Finally while using the above, we'd want to monitor her closely. Any vomiting, appetite loss, belly pain, pale gums , or straining to pass stool and we'd want her seen urgently. Her vet can check for any blockage and depending where it is they can remove it of need be.

Overall if she chewed this up the risk is lessened. Otherwise depending on the time frame, we'd want to use the above steps to get this out and keep her from any issue here.

All the best,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was about 6 hrs ago. We have been sleeping but I woke up in a panic. She is still asleep.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is sleeping comfortably that is positive. In that case and since we are 6hours on, we'd be best to monitor and use those food additives to push this all out the other end.

All the best,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)