Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Boxer w/corneal ulcer x 1 month treatment. Getting tramadol

Customer Question

Boxer w/corneal ulcer x 1 month treatment. Getting tramadol for pain and neo-poly drops q8 hrs. Started autologous blood injections x5 days. Now on 5th day of blood drops eye is reddened and no real sign of improvement. Is redness a sign of vascularization that suggests healing or worsening?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

When you say blood injections I assume you mean your veterinarian took your dog's blood, spun it and you are using serum in the eye. This can be very helpful for deep ulcers. In some older dogs, Boxers in particular, these ulcerations can take weeks, maybe months to heal and be super frustrating. So one month is not out of the realm of extraordinary. However, other factors to consider. First, I always screen my boxers for hypothyroidism, which can be a contributing factor to developing and non-healing of an indolent ulceration like this. It is also easily treated. Screening with a full thyroid panel would be indicated.

Second, if not already done at this point if it is not healing, this is probably indolent and needs to have the redundant, non adhering edges of the cornea removed, which your vet can easily do on most dogs with a topical anesthetic and then a grid keratotomy. These are easy and work great to promote the layers of the cornea to communicate and heal. If your vet has not done this, then I would recommend you request a referral to your local ophthalmologist for consultation.

The serum is great. We have other products as well we can try that help healing such as use of Adequan solution in the eye or Repair Corneal gel, but I do find the serum works great even if it is only good for a week at most and then must be replaced.

As to the redness, if this is in the white of the eye, then this may be a topical reaction to the serum or indicate there is an infection. This does warrant your vet to take a look at the eye tomorrow for a recheck. But, sometimes on the cornea, itself, there will be neovascularization along the periphery to give it the redness, which is completely normal. Always better to err on the side of caution but I want to be optimistic and say it is the eye trying to heal. I would really discuss the techniques mentioned above with your veterinarian.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Hi Pete,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey