Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Unbeknownst to me, my son left s leftover chicken with bones

Customer Question

unbeknownst to me, my son left his leftover chicken with bones in his room and my dog ate them all. I found this out because she's been vomiting since 3:00 am. She's vomiting up splinters and bone fragments. There is no blood. Do I need to take her to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how Jade is doing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't vomited since 5:30 am. She seems to be feeling better. She ate some bread and her dog food and has kept it down. She's very tired, which is understandable since she was up for hours throwing up. Is she out of the woods here?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're nice and pink. Not pale at all.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, until she is not drinking, eating without vomiting and normal bowel movement I can say she is out of the woods. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- You can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.
3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move any bones out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If she continues to vomit or becomes lethargic, anorexic, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter