brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dogs ears are very bad. Our vet can't see her ear Canal

Customer Question

My dogs ears are very bad. Our vet can't see her ear Canal even. We have tried different solution and antibiotics, tubes in ear. What is the sense of putting drops in when the hole is not even open. They are painful if you try to touch them. I have prednisone for her also. What else can we try . Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Chronically infected and painful ears can be so difficult.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I have one regime that sometimes will work to clear chronically infected ears. It does not always work, but I will use it as a last ditch effort before resorting to surgery.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

When I first start the treatment, I use Synotic in the ears once daily for a week. I have my clients apply the drops without even attempting to clean the ears. The medication in Synotic is a strong anti-inflammatory, and I hope to reduce at least some of the pain and inflammation to make the remainder of the treatment more effective.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

After that, we switch products to a combination of HydroPlus (Burow's solution and hydrocortisone) mixed with 1/2 of a 15gm tube of mupirocin ointment. The ointment does not dissolve well, and it takes a significant amount of effort to mix them together. Then, we fill the ear canals twice daily with the solution for at least 2 weeks before rechecking. If the ears are comfortable enough, they should be cleaned every other day with a commercial solution like Douxo Micellar cleaner.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

This should all be done at the same time as the oral prednisone, and in those painful ears I will also add tramadol for additional pain control.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

If this works, I still expect it to take at least 2-3 months before seeing the final results. Chronic ears may require chronic treatment also, perhaps twice weekly, to prevent full recurrence.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

If this fails, then I recommend considering the option of surgery. Removing the diseased portion of the ear stops the pain. The dog will be deaf, but at this point she probably cannot hear anyway.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Susan