Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog just had the toggle surgery s p. He's home, on

Customer Question

My dog just had the toggle surgery for dislocating his hip. He's home, on medication, and seems so sad. He has to be in a small room in our house to avoid lots of movement as he's really only allowed to walk when he owes out on a leash to do his business.how do we comfort his? We can't be by his wise all the time but when we can spend time with him, what's the best thing to do? Pet him, talk to him, massage him?.. Please give us some ideas to help him find comfort?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Riley is not feeling well after his surgery. First, take comfort in the fact that this is a temporary situation for him. He will heal and because you were able to get him the surgery, he should return to full function and activity level in the next few months.

Here are some ideas to help him deal with the boredom of confinement-

-new chew bones such as nylabones or kong toys. I also like to stuff the kongs with peanut butter and this gives the dogs 30 to 45 minutes of licking and chewing time.

-new stuffed toys with squeakers (unless he eats the squeakers)

-obedience training- you can work on training him new tricks that also involve sitting or laying down such as roll over and shake.

-some dogs enjoy watching quiet TV or listening to classical music (this has actually been shown in shelters and large kennels to calm dogs down who are barking and anxious).

-petting and massage are always nice for dogs and even just having someone sitting with him will bring him comfort.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

How is Riley this evening? Did you try out any of the above recommendations to see if that helps alleviate his boredom? Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would please consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. A