Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How much lasix can you give a 14 pound dog

Customer Question

how much lasix can you give a 14 pound dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Barbara,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Barbara

Sorry to hear about your dog's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The usual dose for Lasix in dogs is between 1 to 3 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally up to four times a day.

For a 14 pound dog a top dose works out at { 14 pounds x 3mg } = 42 mg. Going on this sort of calculation it would seem that you have some leeway to increase the dose in your case. However this should be done gradually so some vets might suggest initially trying 20 mg twice a days for dogs in your one's position. If possible you should run this past your vet first.

2. Where I provide information on drugs or dose rate I like to provide a link so clients can check the accuracy of my advice and also read further on how this drug is used in dogs : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Barbara,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the lasix dose ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.