Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

What do you suggest we do dog.

Customer Question

What do you suggest we do for our dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 11 months ago.

Hi there!

Can you tell me a bit about what's going on with your dog?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My dog has had a cough fir Iiver a year hes now getting worse he cough and gags like he has a hair ball his vet said he had a collapsed trachea which i totally duagree with he doesnt have a honkink goise sound another vet said this cindition hapoened to small breed dogs around six or seven he is on quvar inhaler theophyline not wirking what do you suggest.

Thanks, ***** ***** a few questions for you:

1. What breed is your dog?
2. What kind of testing has he had, x-rays, etc?
3. Does he cough at night?
4. Has any of the medication helped at any time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hes a golden chow mix hes had numerous x rays. He coughs day and nite and no none of the meds have helped.

Got it. Has he had any other testing, besides x-rays?
Has he been given an antibiotic during this last year and if so, do you remember what it was?

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a phone call service at this time, would you like to continue in chat?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just answer through my email for suggestions on ehat to do fir my dog Boomer thank you.

Great,

Just a few more questions for you to help me clarify the situation:

1. What other testing has Boomer had besides x-rays?
2. Has he had an antibiotic and if so, what was it called?
3. Was the collapsing trachea noted on the x-ray?
4. Has he been tested for heart worm disease?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still haven't git an answer foir my dog. Jusy forget it.

I need to have a bit more information before I can give you a good answer (I sent over some questions in my previous post). I will go ahead and opt out of the question and allow other experts to help...

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your boy has had coughing issues. Dr. Gene was trying to get more information about what sorts of treatments have an haven't helped him so far. As you can imagine, when we can't see their records ourselves and examine them in person, we have to ask a lot of questions about your pet in order for us to figure out what's going on.

A chronic cough like you're describing can be caused by a variety of different diseases. In some cases the cough is a sign of heart failure, which is diagnosed by a combination of listening to the heart, chest X-rays, EKG findings and a cardiac ultrasound. It's also always a good idea to do a heart worm test on any dog with a chronic cough, as it can be a cause of both heart and lung disease.

It sounds like your vet is actually treating more for chronic bronchitis based on the treatments that you listed. This is a chronic inflammation of the airways that is related to airway irritants and allergies. Some dogs will need oral prednisone to control the inflammation (it appears that your guy is on an inhaled version, which don't work for all dogs) and decrease the cough. Another therapeutic trial that could be considered would be a heavy duty cough suppressant like hydrocodone. Also, some vets will do a longer course of antibiotics just in case there's an infection going on in there. Ultimately, the only way to know exactly what's causing the cough is to do a combination of diagnostics to evaluate the airway - both visually by sending a scope into the airway, and cytologically by getting a sample of airway secretions for culture and examination under a microscope. Scoping would allow the veterinarian to look for tracheal collapse. Since these tests are costly, often we will do therapeutic trials (ie: try medicines) to see if we can control the cough without having to do a lot more diagnostics.

I hope this info is helpful - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)