Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I suspect my 13 pound Lhasa apso may have swallowed a 5 mg.

Customer Question

Customer: my name is Simi. I suspect my 13 pound Lhasa apso may have swallowed a 5 mg. vesicare a few hours ago. I am not sure if he did get it but he has behaved normally since then.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The container may have been empty.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait. I just want to know if he did get a hold of one would any symptoms be evident after a couple of hours?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry that this happened to your little one

As you know vesicare is a medication for overactive bladders. As a very small breed dog then possible symptoms MAY include: restlessness, tremor, seizures, flushing, fever, nausea, vomiting, and a fast heartbeat

The dose ingested for your dog at 13 pounds 13 (5.9 kg) is 0.84 mg/kg and luckily testing with dogs and dosages up to 20 mg/kg daily were unremarkable (no symptoms).

Since it has been a few hours I would simply advise monitoring for any of the above symptoms overnight. If seen then please consider a veterinary er for treatment and symptoms maybe seen several hours after administration so please monitor closely for 24 hours total

I hope this makes sense but from the information I have been able to find (this medication is not used in pets) this dose should not have any ill effects on your little one. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try to watch him during the night.

Perfect, can I assist with any additional questions tonight?

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your Llasa. Were there any issues from yesterday's mishap? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today