Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My shitsu has stopped eating and is not pooping and s

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** my shitsu has stopped eating and is not pooping and his stomach appers hard and enlarged.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think he may have colic
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear how things are going Pat.

How long has the stomach appeared enlarged?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Since yesterday
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is also throwing up bile today

Understood Pat.

First, a constipated pet will generally not visually appear bloated. For the belly to actually be distended and/or firm is very concerning.

The appearance of a bloated belly could be caused by:
1. Stomach Bloat
2. Stomach Torsion (a emergency) when the stomach twists on itself.
3. Ascites

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ascites-in-dogs/page1.aspx
4. Worms (not really that common in older pets)
5. Organomegaly (Enlargement of the Spleen, Liver). VERY common
6. Tumor in the abdomen

Unfortunately, the loss of appetite has too many causes to list. Anything that could cause nausea or pain would be a consideration.

The vomiting elevates our level of concern. I do truly feel a vet visit is a must. No matter what, this will not resolve with a wait and see approach. I will mention some antacid therapies to help any nausea, but it is critical to get him evaluated. If the vet agrees about the belly, I would strongly recommend X-rays ASAP.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Very sorry about how things are going. Hope that information helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks I will get him to the vet

Sounds like a plan.

I would expect x-rays for sure if the vet agrees about the bellly distension, followed by a possible basic blood profile. Plus, they can give some good medications to help that stomach.

Good Luck!

I hope my responses were satisfactory.