Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am concerned my six month old lab/***** ***** shepherd mix

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I am concerned my six month old lab/***** ***** shepherd mix may have a bowel obstruction. She was vomiting on Thursday night and had a bit of diarrhea. We gave her a watered down mix of Gatorade by syringe as she had, and still has, no appetite. She seemed to get better after a half a day of this, but still had no appetite. She had even become a bit playful again. We have given her a pureed rice and broth mix. Friday evening until Saturday afternoon she was taking the gatorade mix and a bit of the rice mix, still by syringe but late Saturday afternoon she began to vomit again anywhere from ten minutes to an hour after being fed. Frothy, sometimes yellowish in colour. Diarrhea is basically brown water and does not appear to have any blood in it. She does not seem to be tender in the abdomen if I press on it gently. We cannot afford surgery and if there is no improvement by the time the vet opens on Monday, I am afraid she will have to be euthanized. Any advice on what we can do to help her would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can't be much more detailed than I was. Evidently this is simply a computerized response. How disappointing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. Thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

I agree that the signs you are seeing are consistent with a possible obstruction. Do you know of anything specific she may have chewed up? Could she have gotten into the trash?