Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 3 yr old bernese is limping and not able to put her left

Customer Question

my 3 yr old bernese is limping and not able to put her left hind leg down with weight on it 4 days on and off?? I have looked all through her paw and see nothing and when I rub her leg, put pressure on it and bend it she does not yelp or flinch yet she
is hobbling around?? is it possible she pulled a muscle? if another dog comes by she will run but then it seems to make it worse once she is settled down. is there anything I can give her or do for her? should I take her in to vet? she is eating and peeing
and pooping normally and she wags her tail and is otherwise acting normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The primary concern is a cruciate tear with her breed and symptoms. I would advise a veterinary exam because a home evaluation will not give this diagnosis, a veterinarian needs to check the stifle for drawer or movement which cannot be done without an experienced hand. Often with palpation and manipulation at home you will not see any indications of this condition

Here is more information on cruciate tears in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/ruptured-cranial-cruciate-ligament-in-dogs

Until you are able to have her seen, please limit her activity as much as you are able. Rotate warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals, and massage from toes to hip and back down again frequently to stimulate blood flow therefore healing

You can use a towel as a sling under her groin to control her movements up/ down steps and minimize risk of further injury and limit her to leash only to go potty until she is seen.

I hope this information makes sense. It is possible that this is a simple muscle injury but I suspect you would have seen some improvement if that were the case in this length of time. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Kara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Millie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman