Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

MY DOG IS ON ANTIBOTICS WILL THIS CAUSE EXCESSIVE SHEDDING

Customer Question

MY DOG IS ON ANTIBOTICS FOR UTI WILL THIS CAUSE EXCESSIVE SHEDDING
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Bell has a urinary tract infection. In my experience antibiotic care does not increase shedding but if her immune system is fighting something like a urinary tract infection or is beginning to have issues with a thyroid condition this can result in increased shedding in and of itself.

The hope is that when she has resolved the infection the shedding should subside but if not I would consider evaluating her for a thyroid condition.

You can also begin her on a fish oil supplement that will improve hair coat and skin to reduce shedding. For her breed this should be 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily but will take a few weeks to have full effect

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. In summary the antibiotics will not cause increased shedding but the stress of the urinary tract infection to her body can cause excess shedding temporarily...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!