Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a mass on the liver and spleen. I got her to eat

Customer Question

My dog has a mass on the liver and spleen. I got her to eat something about 9:30 am and a bit later. She just threw it up. She has been drinking pedialite. Also she had a pep acid pill this morning. Is there a reason why the food is not moving through her system? She did have a ultra sound and I am trying to keep her comfortable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about Sandy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When the ultrasound was done, did they do a biopsy, to see what the mass on the liver and the spleen are?

She may not be eating, because the tumor/mass has spread into the intestines. That may be hard to see, even with ultrasound.

Were any blood tests done? If the mass is affecting her liver enough to cause elevated liver values, that could cause loss of appetite and vomiting.

When a dog has cancer, as it progresses and grows, it is common for them to stop eating, and to vomit. When I have diagnosed cancer in a dog, and the owner asks me when it is time to consider euthanasia, I tell them when the dog stops eating, then quality of life is probably not good.

Is she taking any medication? Something for nausea like Cerenia or famotidine might help with vomiting, and with her appetite.

Let me know what other questions I can answer. I am sorry Sandy is so sick. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I just saw you are giving "Pep acid", which is probably famotidine. How much is she getting?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you are able to see what I sent. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is your dog doing?