Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Recently my dog starts coughing or hacking in the middle of

Customer Question

Recently my dog starts coughing or hacking in the middle of the night. It only stops after I give him I have a slice of buttered bread thinking that maybe the butter will sooth his esophagus. Any idea as to what this might be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

If coughing/hacking occurs only in the middle of the night I would consider both gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn) and an allergic response to heightened pollens in the air at that time. It would be interesting to see how an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb prior to bedtime affects him. If he's coughing/hacking at other times, cardiopulmonary disorders become more important.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.