DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My 10yr old schnauzer mix has a temp of 99.8 & he has been

Customer Question

My 10yr old schnauzer mix has a temp of 99.8 & he has been extremely lethargic since yesterday afternoon. His gums are pink, he's eating regularly but is drinking a lot more than usual. His respiration is around 38 breaths per minute. His stomach makes gurgling noises if he moves around much. Stomach seems sensitive to touch & he won't stop licking both sides of his abdomen. I threw his ball to him & he caught it but stumbled and was very uncoordinated in his movements. Your thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. 99.8 is NOT a fever for a dog , it's a normal temperature. That said, his symptoms are very concerning. My first thought is potentially diabetes. Schnauzers are very prone to this condition even if not overweight and around 10 years old would be a common age to develop it. It would cause lethargy and weakness and inappetance and excessive thirst. Of course, many other things could cause similar signs, they are very nonspecific symptoms...but given the age and the breed, this is my immediate gut reaction. I would highly recommend getting him in to see a vet today for an exam and some bloodwork. Treatment is of course diet management and insulin shots. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ernie. How is everything going?
DrMelJ