Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

, I have a 10 year old. He has been fine until late

Customer Question

Customer: Hi,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi. I have a 10 year old ***** *****. He has been fine until late this afternoon. I noticed he was just standing still. His tail is tucked under his back and he wont move. When he tries to it's almost like he is favouring one of his back legs. He has eaten (we put his food under his nose). We put him in his bed and he has just got up but can't really walk very well. Takes a step then stops. His tail is still under his back. I hope you can give me some advice. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

Thanks for requesting me although I'm sorry that I've been off my computer until just now.

I'm also sorry that your dog isn't feeling well. Unfortunately, there could be several reasons for his behavior; there wouldn't be just one particular reason for it:

1. It might be helpful if you could take his temperature to see if he's running a fever. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. If it's elevated, then possible explanations include: tick diseases or possibly an infection. If the former, then he should start to feel better within just a few days and act more his normal self by 3 days if given Doxycycine or Minocycline (the treatment of choice for the majority of tick diseases).

If some other sort of infection, then different antibiotics are usually prescribed based on individual preference.

2. Dogs with anal gland issues can behave in some odd ways and typically affect the smaller dogs as opposed to the larger ones. What doesn't quite fit, however, would be his age if he's never had anal issues in the past. Having said that, though, if he has an anal gland abscess, he might be reluctant to move and might keep his tail tucked under him.

If you haven't already done so, then I'd lift his tail and closely examine around his rectum for evidence of swelling or what might appear to be wounds. If present, let me know and I can provide otc treatment options.

3. Dogs with spinal issues where there's compression of the spine by either a disc or a mass can also behave this way.

A thorough physical exam or x-rays might suggest this sort of problem although an MRI is usually needed to confirm it.

If he's not vomiting nor currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, then he could be given Aspirin which could help with pain, inflammation or if there's a fever. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

The only disadvantage to giving him this drug is that it might interfere with what your vet might want to prescribe if he has to be seen.

But a few doses should be ok.

I hope this helps and that he's feeling better soon but if he continues to behave this way, then a vet visit may be prudent. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb