Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I found a dog that was abandoned, now there it something and

Customer Question

i found a dog that was abandoned , now there it something and i dont have money for vet but i gotta to do something , he is throwing up and puking .he also chews all his hair off. i bath him eveyweek which is not easy . he is a blue and english pit mixed.
i gave him omeprzoile and peanut butter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

It was so kind of you to adopt this guy! I can certainly give you a few hints to try at home but I do want to mention some of the larger, more concerning issues that no at-home remedy will cure. With the vomiting, if this is all the time and he is also lethargic and/or he has diarrhea (especially if bloody) then my top worries would be either he has a viral infection (such as parvovirus or coronavirus) or severe intestinal parasite infection or he has swallowed something that is trapped in his system. There are many other possibilities for this. The parvovirus gastroenteritis is life threatening. So, if there is progressive blood in the vomit/diarrhea and he becomes more depressed over the next 24-48 hours, then this is an emergency situation and you really must have him seen since this can become life-threatening.

For the chewing, first we must rule out fleas. That is the number one cause. not all flea medications work. The only over-the-counter option I can recommend with confidence is Advantage. We are seeing a LOT of resistance to Frontline (Plus and TopSpot) and their knock-offs (fipronil-containing products). So, I do recommend apply a good anti flea control. If you have already done this and feel this is controlled, then this may be due to something else like mange mites or a severe bacterial infection or fungal infection.

So, what could you try at home this weekend? If you are unable to have him seen now, then if he was my patient I might recommend for the VOMITING you try:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Give famotidine (Pepcid AC) 10mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit instead of omeprazole which is much tougher to dose on the gigantic human-sized tablet/capsule. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol liquid if loose stool: Give 2 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.

5) Do a good general deworming using a product called Panacur. Do not use anything else as it probably will not work well. You will need to follow the dosing directions based on weight. It is a powder you mix with food once daily for 3 days in a row (available at most larger pet stores and online in packets).

And, for the skin:

1)Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours OR Claritin OTC (if less than 25 lbs give ½ tablet every 12 hours)

2)Bath in a good antibacterial shampoo such as Selsun Blue every 3 to 7 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly

3)Start on a fish oil supplement (this is anti-inflammatory over about 4-6 weeks)

Remember all of these are temporary to help with symptoms but may not resolve the issue. Ultimately, he may really need to be seen. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.