Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

If a puppy is 7 weeks old and s tummy gurgles, after he eats

Customer Question

If a puppy is 7 weeks old and his tummy gurgles, after he eats what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does he seem uncomfortable when his tummy is gurgling? How long does it last for? What is he eating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he plays and runs around, maybe 1/2 hour, puppy chow

Okay thanks for the additional information. If the gurgling only lasts for a 1/2 hour then that may be normal for him. The gurgling you may be hearing is a combination of the gas and the movement of the intestines while the food is digesting. Since puppies as young as 7 weeks of age may still be adjusting to a solid food diet they tend to be more gassy than older dogs. As long as he seems to be comfortable and his stomach is not distending too much he should be okay.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 12 months ago.
Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Not Named. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne