Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate 12 pieces of orbit bubble mint gum. What should I

Customer Question

my dog ate 12 pieces of orbit bubble mint gum. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

How much does Chloe weigh, please? Orbit contains the substitute sugar xylitol which can cause hypoglycemia and liver damage in dogs. The gum can contain between 0.006-0.38 grams of xylitol per piece of gum.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chloe weighs 12lbs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what should we do?

Thank you. In the worst case scenario, Chloe ingested 4.56 grams of xylitol or 4.56 grams/5 kg of body weight which is equivalent to 0.9 grams/kg = 900 mg/kg

Hypoglycemia can appear at 75 mg/kg and hepatotoxicity can appear at 500 mg/kg and so she's at risk for both. It would be prudent to bring Chloe to a veterinary ER to be decontaminated and treated presumptively for hypoglycemia and have her liver enzymes monitored. Please continue our conversation if you wish but I'd prefer you were on your way to the ER.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** on our way out to the ER

I'm pleased to hear that Chloe will be well-attended to. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.