Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

We have been waiting 2 years non-show great dane puppy from

Customer Question

We have been waiting 2 years for a non-show great dane puppy from a very well respected breeder. The litter that our dog is coming from was born in October 2015 and we are scheduled to pick him up in 2 weeks. The breeder has sent us pictures of him and, compared to his siblings, he is considerably smaller. Should we have any concerns about this? If so, what should we look for or ask of the breeder?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. This must be an exciting time for you and your family! Him being smaller than the others in the litter isn't necessarily a major concern. In any given litter, there is typically one that is bigger than the rest and one that is smaller than the rest. These outliers aren't of great concern in a vast majority of cases. What I'd want to see when you get there to get him is that he's a social and energetic puppy that is interactive and happy. You should ask the breeder for all the records that they have on him as far as vaccines and health care. The absolute most important thing I can recommend for all new puppies is getting them to your vet in the first couple days for your vet to check them over on a health exam. Their ability to do a good physical exam is going to help make sure that everything with him is as healthy as possible. They can then look at the previous records and set up his following vaccines and other health care appointments. Make sure you let the breeder know that you're going to get him checked over by your vet in the first couple days so his future health care is set up.