Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a pupy shih tsu 8 1/2 weeks old and s nose has become

Customer Question

i have a pupy shih tsu 8 1/2 weeks old and his nose has become very congested and difficult for hi to breathe...can nasal saline drops and bulb syringe suction help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

While you can try a bulb syringe, I do find that they are of limited help when pups are congested. Instead, non-medicated saline drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) would be a better option. You can apply 2-3 drops per nostril as needed to help clear the nasal passage. Otherwise, you can try to reduce his congestion by taking him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer or humidifier. Though since dogs don't usually like things held to their faces, you can make him a little steam tent by putting him on a small dog crate with the humidifier next to it, andt then cover both with a light bed sheet. This will help concentrate the steam to aid him in breathing easier. Finally, if the congestion is severe or he has nasal discharge, you may also want to have his local vet start him on dog safe decongestants (since human ones are poisonous for them), anti-inflammatories to reduce nasal inflammation +/- antibiotics to clear this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the informationyou need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet