Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our female dog who gave birth to eleven pups 3 weeks ago has

Customer Question

Our female dog who gave birth to eleven pups 3 weeks ago has just recently started having more pain while nursing them since the pups are stronger and more demanding more food. We started substituting only once a day with wet puppy food mixed with canned milk. They are doing fairly well with it and then the momma finishes the food. Now the momma has severely and stinking gas. Should she not get any of the left over puppy food? Or just tell me how to stop this horrible gas!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  William Withers replied 12 months ago.

Hi - Yes, I'd suggest stopping the puppy food and canned milk combination. This alone will probably stop the gas. If it doesn't (and she isn't having diarrhea), you could probably make the gas go away faster with some form of probiotics.

It is best to get a probiotic specifically made for dogs and follow the label instructions. The second best option would be a probiotic for humans. The last option would be 1-2 tbsp. of yogurt (plain or vanilla) added in with her food. I list that last because she might have a lactose intolerance, since the canned milk probably started the whole gas issue. Hope this helps.