Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 year old Bishon had blatter surgery yesterday. She has

Customer Question

My 8 year old Bishon had blatter surgery yesterday. She has passed bloody urine until this afternoon but now she can not urinate now and seem to be in lots of pain and its late at night and I don't know how to help her. She try's so hard but nothing comes out What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear about Sadie's situation. Her straining raises concerns of post-operative inflammation blocking her urine outflow or at least being severe enough to cause her to feel like she needs to pass urine. In this case, there is little that can be done safely at home. Ideally, we'd want to have her to her vet urgently for injectable anti-inflammatory treatment. This will soothe her discomfort, reduce inflammation, and hopefully get her passing any urine present. After administering this, her vet will need to monitor her for the ability to urinate and if she continues to struggle then a urinary catheter may need to be placed to help her to pass urine until the inflammation settles.

Normal
0

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Been resolved. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that Sadie's situation had been addressed, as it was quite a worry for her.

Take care & best wishes for her,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?
nekovet