Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I removed a tick from the top of my 4 mo. old puppie's head.

Customer Question

I removed a tick from the top of my 4 mo. old puppie's head. The puppy weighs only 4 lbs. There is now a very hard lump at the site which does not seem to be going away. The lump is about the size of a large pencil eraser. Should I be concerned as it has been about a week since I removed the tick and the lump was already forming at that time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You've described a foreign body reaction typical secondary to tick attachment. Even if a piece of tick were inadvertently left in the skin, as the skin matures that piece will be pushed out. These reactions can take 3-4 weeks to fully abate. There's no reason to attend to it in any manner other than your cleaning the area as necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was hoping that was the case. Just never saw a reaction to a tick bite on any of my dogs before. Thank you very much and thank you for your fast response! HAVE A GREAT TOMORROW!!

You're quite welcome. Consider a tick preventative such as one of the fipronil-containing products available over the counter.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.