Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an emergency question. I just gave my son's cat who

Customer Question

I have an emergency question. I just gave my son's cat who weighs approx 5.5 kg 128 mg of tylenol (She was attacked by dogs and her abdomen is swollen) emergency vet stated that her bladder is bruised. She is in a lot of pain. Should we induce vomitting? It has been one hour since it was given.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. After an hour, there is a good chance she has absorbed most of it. Inducing vomiting is a good idea, but it won't completely help a this point. If she seems like she is out of it, wobbly or not coherent, vomiting is an absolute NO NO at that point because she could aspirate. Regardless, she needs to be seen by an emergency vet ASAP. Even a small amount of Tylenol will kill a cat. They lack the enzymes to break down this medication, and it will destroy their liver and send them into cardiac and respiratory arrest. If the emergency vet is close, I would just forgo inducing vomiting and let them take care of it. I can't stress how important it is to get her seen NOW. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitty. How is everything going?
Dr. John